It’s October 3rd which is pretty much unofficial International Mean Girls day – one of the best pop culture dates. Ever.
It’s been fourteen years since the movie was released and it’s still as iconic as ever. It was relevant back in 2004 and its still just as relatable now.
I still quote it in my day to day conversations and I bet you do too. To celebrate I’ve put together some real fetch facts you probably didn’t know about this iconic piece of cinema history.
1. It was originally going to be called Homeschooled.
In reference to Cady’s lack of exposure to public school before she moved to America and was part of the plastics. “Homeschooled” really doesn’t catch the essence of the movie though, right? This title change was definitely a good decision!
2. Rachel McAdams and Amanda Seyfried both auditioned for Regina George
They were both neck and neck for the role but after McAdams got the role, producer Lorne Michaels suggested Amanda for the “dumb friend”.
3. “Talk to me again and I’ll kick your ass” is Producer, Lorne Micheals favourite line from the movie.
It was said by Kristen Hadley, a member from the Lady Lions Lacrosse team.
4. That kid Kristen made out with right after she spoke to Cady? Well that was his first actual kiss!
Apparently there had to be multiple takes too according to director Mark Waters!
5. The film was nearly forced to cut the “wide set vagina” line.
The MPAA tried to cut the line for the PG-13 rated movie but Anchorman had just come out and Will Ferrell had got away with a erection scene and was a PG-13. Mark Waters and crew said they were just being sexist and the MPAA finally let them keep it in.
6. James Franco was considered for the role of Aaron Samuels
Daniel Franzese who played Damian told Cosmopolitan in an interview that “Lindsay recently told me that James Franco was considered for the role of Aaron Samuels. I thought that was so cool – Bennett was great but that would’ve been cool.”
7. Jonathan Bennett used to make Lindsay Lohan blush (naturally) on camera.
Who could blame her though, right?
8. Amy Poehler is only 7 years older than her on screen daughter Rachel McAdams.
The costume department had to figure out how to make Amy look older whilst trying to have her still dress like a teenager.. without making her look like an actual teenager.
9. Just like her character Amanda Seyfried can fit her fist in her mouth.
During an interview with Radio Times, Amanda Seyfried showed off her ultimate party trick.
10. Tina Fey had trouble learning Ms. Norbury’s maths related lines
Fey decided to be a math teacher because she wanted to counteract the stereotype that girls can’t do math, she told the New York Times. She admitted that she didn’t actually understand any of her math related lines though, her friends boyfriend was a calculus teacher and she used his lesson plans!
11. Amy Poehler taught Kevin G how to rap
Tina Fey wrote the script for Mean Girls but she left her friend Amy Poehler who played Regina’s mum. Tina said in an interview with Vulture “Amy definitely coached him on how to do the rap, and she actually gave him some of the moves and choreography for it too.”
12. Kevin G is actually now a professional Calligrapher.
A.K.A Rajiv Surendra now creates the most amazing chalk walls, invitations and logos.
13. It was set in Evanston, Illinois but filmed in Canada
Despite Mean Girls being set in Illinois it was filmed in Canada which is actually the birthplace of Regina George actress Rachel McAdams.
14. “You go Glen Coco!” is the most quoted line from the movie.
According to Twitter after some number crunching they did so we don’t have to “You go, Glen Coco!” is the most referenced line from the movie, being followed by “So fetch!”, “It’s October 3rd” and “On Wednesdays we wear pink.”
15. Glen Coco is real and he is beautiful.
He was played by Canadian actor David Reale, who’s also appeared in Suits, the US version of Skins and Queer as Folk.
For some terrible reason he wasn’t even credited in the movie, but you can follow him on twitter here.