As students, we aren’t known for getting our five-a-day – here’s an easy way to add some greens to a simple pasta dish.
After a long day at university, the last thing you want to do is wash lots of dishes. This recipe requires minimal effort and is the perfect recipe for work-laden students.
- Fresh or frozen broccoli
- 2 – 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- Olive oil
- ½ cup of Pasta (Example: Penne, Shells, Orecchiette, but any shape works)
- Parmesan cheese
- Gather all of your ingredients together.
- Fill your pot with water, add some salt and a drizzle of olive oil.
- In a pan, add about a 1/4 of a cup of olive oil and add your chopped garlic cloves. Cook them until they are brown, but not burnt. Do not leave this pan unattended. Once it gets brown turn off the heat and set the pan aside.
- When your water comes to a boil add your fresh or frozen broccoli, and cook it to your preference whether that means soft or slightly more tender. This be for approximately from 4 to ten minutes.
- Once your broccoli is cooked to your preference use a fork or spoon take it out of the boiling water and set it aside. In that same pot, add a little bit more olive oil/salt to the already boiling water and then add your pasta to cook. Follow the cooking instructions on the packet.
- Once your pasta is cooked, drain the pasta and add the broccoli to the pasta. You can cut the broccoli into smaller pieces before adding it to the pasta if they are too big.
- Add the cooked garlic and oil from the pan to the pasta and broccoli. Then, give it a good mix.
- Add some Parmesan cheese or any other grated cheese that you like, and give it another mix.
- Serve some on your plate, add some cheese on top and enjoy. You can save any extra pasta in the fridge and heat it up again in the microwave.
Have fun with this simple and delicious pasta recipe!